Enrolling in benefits
New team members must enroll or waive health and welfare benefits within the first 30 days of employment. All new hires will receive an email their first week containing their Universal ID, password and ESS key. For additional assistance, call the Information Services Help Desk at (516, 631, or 718) 470-7272.
Existing team members can enroll, change or waive their benefit elections through the same process as new hires, but only during a two week period of time, typically in November/December, referred to as benefit open enrollment.
If you do not change or waive your elections from the previous year, your benefits will automatically rollover (Flexible Spending Accounts are the exception, these accounts do not rollover)
The only other time you can enroll, change or waive your benefits is as a result of a Qualifying Life Event (QLE). A QLE includes a change of marital status, dependent status, a change in your family’s coverage due to your dependent’s coverage, or a change in employment status.
What you need to know as you are enrolling in your benefits
- Spousal Surcharge: if you enroll a spouse on a Northwell medical plan when they are offered a medical plan coverage through their own employer or union you will incur an annual spousal surcharge of $1,140 (pro-rated per pay period).
- Married couples who both work at Northwell: the team member in the higher benefit group will have to elect their own medical coverage at a higher cost. The spouse in the lower benefit group does have the option to elect coverage as single or employee + child(ren).
Benefit groups and location classifications
Your contribution towards the cost of benefits depends on the coverage you select for you and your dependents, your date of hire, benefit group and the location in which you work. 2021 rates can be found here.
See references below:
- Benefit group 3 generally refers to staff-level team members
- Benefit group 2 generally refers to manager-level team members and clinical mid-level providers
- Benefit groups 1 generally refers to directors and AVPs
- Benefit group 1A generally refers to executives (above the AVP level) and physicians (for benefit information, please refer to the Physicians and Executive Guide)
- 365 generally refers to those working in a hospital or 24/7 setting (includes team members hired before Jan. 1, 2011 with no break in service – regardless of their work location)
- Non-365 generally refers to those who work in an office or non-24/7 setting
Note: Non-365 team members receive the same benefits as those working in a hospital (referred to as 365) with slightly different plans for disability, rates and paid time-off. Some non-365 team members are grandfathered into 365 benefits. NEW! EFFECTIVE 1/1/21 Team members may lose their grandfathered status if they transfer positions.
How to enroll in your benefits:
- Log into myExperience
- Select Benefits
- Select Make Changes and your benefit enrollment will be available
How to enroll in voluntary benefits:
Call the Aon Voluntary Benefits Enrollment or visit northwell.edu/voluntarybenefits.
|Aon Voluntary Benefits Enrollment Center:|
|Open Enrollment||1-855-874-0439||Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. ET|
|New Hire Enrollment:||1-888-561-0240||Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. ET|
- If you need additional information, call the HR Service Center Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at 516-734-7000 (the first and third Friday of every month opening at 9:00 a.m.) or use the HR live chat.
- Contact information for all participating plan administrators can be found here.