What’s new for 2021
- 2021 benefits open enrollment (OE) will be live on mySelfService Monday, Nov. 2 through Friday, Nov. 13. Other than a qualifying life event, OE is the only time you can enroll, change or waive your benefit elections.
- Most elections are passive, meaning they rollover from the year prior if you do not participate in open enrollment – exceptions include:
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- Employee contributions: Employee contributions, inclusive of 60% long-term disability plan rates, will increase in 2021 as they do every year in accordance with industry standards.
- Spousal Surcharge: if you enroll a spouse on a Northwell medical plan when they are offered a medical plan coverage through their own employer or union you will incur an annual spousal surcharge of $1,140 (pro-rated per pay period).
- Married couples who both work at Northwell: the team member in the higher benefit group will have to elect their own medical coverage at a higher cost. The spouse in the lower benefit group does have the option to elect coverage as single or employee + child(ren).
- The The Well-being Credit Program* offers team members who are enrolled in Northwell Value or Buy-up Health Plans through UnitedHealthcare, or High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) through MagnaCare the opportunity to earn a maximum of $1,560 in paycheck credits in exchange for four healthy actions. The two newest actions are:
- Humanizing Substance Use Action
- Northwell Health Patient App Action
Changes in our 2021 plans
Value, Buy-Up and High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP)
- High Deductible Health Plan carrier is changing from UnitedHealthcare to MagnaCare
- Growth hormones will only be covered by in-system endocrinologists and pediatric endocrinologists. Out-of-Area (OOA) plans are excluded.
- Fertility benefits plan design has been updated. All procedures are covered only through the Northwell Health Fertility Department. More information will be available in benefits guides later this month.
- New surrogacy benefit available through the Northwell Health Fertility Department (effective Sept. 1, 2020). More information will be available in benefits guides later this month.
- New Behavioral Health Care Navigator team will ensure plan members receive fast and direct access to appropriate providers for behavioral health. Participants who schedule their appointments through this service will have no copay for select Tier 1 providers. We will provide more information on how to access this benefit in November.
- Home healthcare and Home infusion therapy will be 100% covered by in-system providers. The use of other providers will see an increase in deductible and coinsurance. OOA plans are excluded from increased deductible and coinsurance, the standard deductible and coinsurance will apply.
- Plan members must enroll in mail order prescriptions or pay 100% of the prescription cost after they receive the original prescription and two refills of any maintenance medication at retail locations, including Vivo Health pharmacies.
- Insulin pumps will no longer be available from the prescription drug plan. Participants will now need to use their medical plan provider, UnitedHealthcare or MagnaCare to order insulin pumps. Insulin pump accessories are available through both prescription and medical plans.
- Compression socks will only be covered when ordered through Vivo Health. More information will be available on how to access this benefit in November.
- The urgent care copay for in-network UnitedHealthcare (Value or Buy-up) or MagnaCare (HDHP) facilities will increase from $60 to $75. The urgent care copay for in-system facilities remain unchanged.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- Due to the recently passed Consolidated Appropriations Act 2021 stimulus bill, the deadline to use remaining funds in your 2020 Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for health care and/or dependent care has been extended from March 15, 2021 to December 31, 2021.
If you currently have a 2021 PayFlex FSA for health care and/or dependent care, PayFlex has moved your unused 2020 funds into the corresponding 2021 account. And if you don’t have a 2021 PayFlex FSA for health care and/or dependent care, PayFlex created a 2021 account with your 2020 unused funds. All your eligible expenses will be deducted from this 2021 balance. Please log into PayFlex to review your new account balance(s).
Please call PayFlex at 844-729-3539 or log into your account and click Help & Support to email or message member services regarding any questions about your FSA or the extension.
- Critical illness and Hospital indemnity: Changing from Transamerica to Aflac
- Accident: Changing from Unum to Aflac
- Legal plan: Changing from InfoArmor to Legal Access
- ID theft: Changing from MetLaw to NortonLifeLock