Nothing ever stays the same! If you are experiencing changes in your life situation, you may not have to wait until the next Annual Enrollment period to change impacted benefit options. If you have a “Qualifying Life Event” under IRS guidelines, you can make related changes to your benefits up to 31 days from the date of the event (your “QLE Window”). Browse the topics below for more information on the situation that pertains to you and your family, then click How to Make Changes for links and instructions.
WHAT IS A “QUALIFYING LIFE EVENT?"
Eligible life events may include:
- Getting married, divorced, or legally separated (only in legal separation states)
- Entering a new, or terminating an existing Domestic Partner relationship
- Having a baby or adopting a child
- Death of a covered family member
- Change in a dependent’s eligibility for benefits
- A change in your, or your partner’s employment or coverage eligibility that results in gain or loss of coverage
- A change in your or your dependent’s address that impacts coverage eligibility
If you have a Qualifying Life Event, you can make mid-year changes to your benefits that are consistent with* your life event as long as you complete your enrollment, including submitting appropriate documentation, no later than 31 days from the date of the event during your QLE Window.
*Under IRS rules, an election change is “consistent with” an event only if the election change is on account of and corresponds with a change in status that affects eligibility for coverage.
Related LinksHow to Make Changes
Click here for instructions on how to complete your enrollment and submit appropriate documentation.Learn More
If you are adding a new child to your household you are eligible to make changes to your benefits.Learn More
Learn how to add your new spouse or domestic partner to your HBC benefits.Learn More
If your marriage or domestic partnership has ended, your spouse/partner is immediately no longer eligible to participate in HBC’s benefit plans, and her/his coverage will be terminated.Learn More
Changes to your employment status qualify you to make mid-year benefit changes.Learn More
If your dependent has passed away, you can update your HBC benefits.Learn More
When a dependent is no longer eligible you can make changes to your HBC benefits.Learn More